(Almost) Gluten Free Me.

About a year ago I started seeing a chiropractor.  It wasn’t my first experience with a chiropractor, but it was a completely different one.  I have had back problems since college.  Back then it was an on-again/off-again kind of thing.  Lower back pain would stick around for a few days and then be gone for months.  During my second pregnancy the back pain was on-again.  It was pretty bad and I saw a chiropractor at that time, but as soon as Luke was born the pain subsided.  Well, then I found myself pregnant again and the back pain was back, but this time worse, and it did not go away after Levi was born.  In fact, it got worse.  I could not bend over the crib to lift him out.  If I did make it down to get him, I could barely get up again.  I couldn’t bend down to pick up toys off of the floor.  I couldn’t get in and out of the car without extreme pain.  I couldn’t get out of bed without extreme pain.  It was really really bad.  I was referred to a new chiropractor and I made an appointment.  Dr. Josh Axe went above and beyond treating my back pain, he taught me about treating the whole person and I’ve learned so much over this past year.

The first thing I learned was that the foods I was eating weren’t as healthy as I thought they were.  We are conditioned to think that we are doing so well when we eat whole wheat products, but what I learned is that the gluten found in those products, as well as many others (MANY others), causes inflammation in our systems.  Interesting thing… at the same time as all of this was going on with me, Levi was just an infant and had horrible eczema.  I was breast feeding him at the time.  His little cheeks and his forehead were constantly dry and patchy and inflamed.  His back and stomach weren’t much better.

Poor little sad guy!  Doesn’t he look miserable?  He would scratch at his face and make it bleed and it was not unusual for him to wake up from a nap or sleeping through the night with bloody scratches on the back of his neck.  His doctor told me to try different moisturizers and ointments, but none of them helped much.  No one asked me about my diet.

It was at this time that I decided to follow my chiropractor’s advice and cut out gluten.  Okay, so I didn’t cut it out completely, but I did cut it down a lot.  GF pretzels, GF flour, GF pancakes, GF crackers, etc. etc.  We started to eat Ezekiel Bread (sprouted grain bread) instead of whole wheat or multi-grain.  Guess what?  Levi’s skin cleared up almost immediately!!  I could not believe it!  It was like night and day, it really was.

The difference is pretty striking!  And all because of some changes I made to my diet!  When we would travel to see family and I wasn’t able to eat gluten-free foods his eczema would flare up again.  Also, all of my kids have been big pukers as babies.  They would nurse and they would spit up- a lot!  I could go nowhere without multiple burp cloths and changes of clothing.  When I cut out the gluten Levi stopped spitting up.  Rare was the occasion that he would.  I have often wondered if Abby and Luke would have had an easier time digesting if I had changed my diet earlier.  Having a baby that didn’t spit up after every feeding was a dream come true.  That was it for me, I was ready to make some more changes and the whole family changed along with me.

In future posts I would like to share some more of these changes with you.  They’re not huge things, but they are changes that we have made to be healthier, and I feel really good about them.  I’ll try to include a recipe or two so that you can try them if you’d like.  Here’s the first recipe (compliments of my chiropractor):

Gluten Free Pancakes
1 cup GF flour
2 eggs (cage free organic, if possible)
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
stevia to taste (optional)
1 scoop protein powder (optional)

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.  Cook as you would any other pancake.  Drizzle with Agave nectar or grade B maple syrup.

Give them a try, I think you’ll find them to be pretty tasty!  If you do try them, let me know what you think!

Comments

1. Renee says:

What a huge difference between pictures. He is so cute!! I noticed that you have cocnut milk in the recipe. YUM!!! I started drinking coconut milk because I think I have a slight allery to cow’s milk. I thought it would be bad for me but when I reading about it my sister had just had her first baby. She said her milk had not really come in and he did not seem to ever get enough. Coconut milk contains Lauric Acid which is found in breastmilk.

There was also a study, carried out by the government’s San Lazaro Hospital and pharmaceutical giant United Laboratories since 1989, discovered that coconut chemical lauric acid inhibits, delays and reduces the spread of HIV virus. Lauric acid is the basis of monolaurin and sodium lauryl sulfate which were found as the active chemicals promising in controlling HIV.

Keep drinking it because it has so many benefits. I use the oil to cook with and drink the milk every day. My dry scalp went away LOL.

2. 2busy says:

Where do you find coconut milk? I must be looking in the wrong part of the store. I went g free for a while. I lost weight! I went off due to digestive issues. I have slowly added some back in, but not nearly as much as I used to take in. In great portions it can truly be bad for our body.

3. Very informative post. I love the changes in Levi’s face. YOu did a great job on that one for sure. Rosemary

4. Belinda says:

GREAT post!! i have gone gluten free on a lot of things do to some digestive issues i have been having. It makes a world of difference. I just for the first time yesterday found out about and tried Ezekiel Bread. It’s actually very good and its great to eat bread again after not having it for the past 4 months. love the recipes!! always looking for something different toe at that’s gluten free :)

5. Andrea says:

The more I talk to people about healthy eating and how it affects us in so many ways, I believe we should all be eating gluten and dairy free. My family has had to go pretty much dairy free due to an allergy my oldest has. It’s crazy how we are taught to think those things are things we NEED to have in our diet!

Thanks goodness you found something that works for you!

6. Simoney says:

Awesome Jenny! As you know we are going down this road too, with our Abby, but it means I am cooking gluten free for the whole family. Funny things is, it’s my brother-in-law who is a choropractor who has explained to me all about the gluten and inflammation thing! Chiropractors like these guys are more than just back-clickers. I look forward to more GF recipes from you! (And I’ll be posting some too)
    xx

7. Wow, what a difference in those pictures. I’m going to try your pancake recipe. Thanks for sharing it!

8. Amy says:

That’s an amazing transformation! So glad you found a solution- looks like Levi is glad too!

9. Cara says:

Isn’t it amazing how much of a difference a change in diet can make?! My son (now 3) had egg and milk allergies as a baby and awful eczema (we had to keep his hands covered so he wouldn’t scratch it!). As soon as we discovered the allergies and cut out milk and eggs, the eczema got so much better. So glad that both you and your little one are seeing some improvements.

10. Wow, what a difference in those pictures. I’m going to try your pancake recipe. Thanks for sharing it!

11. Very informative post. I love the changes in Levi’s face. YOu did a great job on that one for sure. Rosemary

12. Renee says:

13. Tami says:

I’m curious about the Ezekial Bread. I’ve heard of it but I didn’t know it was gluten free? Or is it a “different” type of gluten?

Trackbacks

1. [...] your favorite cookie recipe for natural sweetening without all of the calories.  I used it in my gluten free blueberry pancakes instead of [...]