Five Minute Friday: On Distance

Every Friday The Gypsy Mama hosts Five Minute Friday.  The way it works is that she provides a writing prompt and then you are to write whatever comes to mind for 5 minutes.  Nothing fancy, just what comes to mind.  This weeks prompt really spoke to me since I’ve been thinking about this subject over the last several months…

START.

I have had two close friends lose their parents over the last year or so.  One friend’s father lost his life to cancer, the other friend’s mother to ALS.  Both happened so quickly, and both of my friends were near their parent and able to support them in a very real and tangible way.  It has caused me to think about what kind of role I could play if my dad got sick again.  You see, he is a cancer survivor.  More than 10 years cancer-free, praise the Lord.  But both Tom and my parents are in their 60′s or close to it, and I hate to think of cancer, or ALS, or any other disease or sickness that might afflict them.  I hate to think of my dad going through that again and not being there with him.  I hate to think of being so far apart when he needs me most.  But I live states away.  What would I do?  As our parents age, I keep thinking about this, and honestly, I just don’t know, but the distance has become an enemy.  I hate the miles that separate us, but know that these two places are where our lives are.

STOP.

These 5 minute challenges are hard for me… I feel like I’m just left there, mid thought, with no resolution.  Even with an hour, I don’t think I could wrap up my thoughts on this one.  Are you blessed to still have your parents in your lives?  Do you live near them?  Do you struggle with these feelings, like I do?

Comments

1. Carli says:

My mother came to live with me two years ago and although she is the Best Mother Ever the distance between us is at time too close. On the other hand every time I have considered leaving California and therefore leaving her I can’t imagine her not being part of my life on a regular basis. What a blessing it is that I have my mother my on this earth still and can share life with her. That makes the challenges of balancing and negotiating our time together worth it!

2. Shelli says:

Ah, that’s a hard one. And one I’ve thought about recently as well. A friend of mine just lost her mother to cancer. She left her husband and two kids to be with her mother for two months before her mother passed away. (She lost her job, too.)

Her husband was very supportive of her being with her mom, but my husband and I talked about it and we would not do it.

My own dad is many states away and I am glad that one sister is near him. On the other hand, my mother-in-law lives very close to us and depends on us almost daily. We are committed to not moving away and leaving her.

Each situation is different and they all require prayer.

(Good to meet to from The Gypsy Mama!)

3. Kellie says:

being so far away from family is hard!!! we have no family anywhere near us. it’s rough. i don’t know what would happen if either my parents or my husband’s parents got sick. they both have huge support systems near them so it might be harder on me than on them. does that make sense. my grandmother had cancer last year and my dad wasn’t nearby. he helped financially and talked to my grandparents weekly at least. it was really hard for him, but his sisters were there and very committed to helping them. long distance family is so not fun.

4. feelincrafty says:

I think about this often as well. We’re 3000 miles from my parents and my husband’s. His Dad still has family nearby, but I’m an only child and worry about my parents getting old and being so far away. I also think often about how little my son gets to see them. But we have work here and none there, so we stay where we are. for now….

5. celeste says:

i can so relate to everything you wrote, including the cancer survivor parent (my mom). no resolution here either.

6. Kellie says: