GROW Method: Save Food.

Last week I posted about the GROW Method.  Today we’re looking a little bit closer at one of the principles, Save Food.  Here’s a pretty staggering fact: In this country we throw away almost as much food as Sub Saharan Africa produces in a year.  That’s right, about 222 MILLION TONS!  There are simple things that we can do to help this problem, because less waste means less space taken up in land fills and less greenhouse gases produced.

One thing we can do is simply SAVE FOOD.

Save your leftovers.  Use them for your meals the next day!  We have been doing that a lot lately.  Let me give you an example…

Last week I cooked a whole chicken in my crock pot.  We ate the chicken and made stock from the bones and the leftover au jus that was created when the chicken cooked.  We also made chicken gravy.  When I say “we” I mean Abby and I.  She loves to help me in the kitchen!  Both the leftover gravy and two 2-cup bags of chicken stock went into the freezer.

This week I bought another whole chicken and cooked it in the crock pot.  Nothing went to waste at all!

• The gizzards went to our dog.  Did you know that you can feed the raw gizzards to your dog?  He will LOVE you for it!
  • The chicken went to make dinner Tuesday night, chicken quesadillas with black beans and sauteed peppers.
  • The stock was saved.
  • I ate leftover chicken on Wednesday on a lovely strawberry fields salad for lunch… YUM!
  • Wednesday night I made Chicken Chili with leftover chicken and the frozen chicken stock from last week.  And there’s still chicken left!  I think I’ll have another quesadilla for lunch today with the leftover chicken, peppers, and beans!

Today I thought I’d share my extremely inexact recipe for Chicken Chili with you!

Chicken Chili

Chicken Stock

Shredded Chicken

Great Northern White Beans

Cumin

Garlic Powder

Salt

Sour Cream, Tortilla Chips, and Salsa to garnish

Different people like their chicken chili different ways.  I like mine easy on the broth and heavy on the chicken and beans, so you choose the amounts that you’d like to use.

I would start by adding your shredded chicken (about 1-1/2 cups) and a can of beans to the pot, then covering them with the stock.  If you want it soupier then add more stock.  This will feed about 2 people.  Double that for 4 people.

Add the cumin, garlic powder and salt to taste.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

Serve in a bowl with crushed tortilla chips, sour cream and salsa!

The GROW Method is such a great way to make a difference in a broken food system.  Little changes that you can make within your family can make a difference!  Join us in the GROW Method Challenge!  It’s fun!  Learn more here.

What are some ways that your family gets creative with leftovers?

Will you share in the comments?

Comments

1. Caroline says:

Jenny–How am I just now finding out about this?? Brilliant and SO needed!! Not at all surprised you are on top of this my smart and awesome friend.

XO!!

• Jenny Yarbrough says:

I thought for sure you would be in the know on this! I heard of it through TML. Join in and link up with me on 11/23!

2. kellie says:

that chicken chili sounds yummy and i’m with you, i prefer mine easy on the broth. :) most of the time our left overs are lunch for my husband and i over the next few days. or breakfast for me. i don’t really like breakfast foods so i’ll eat leftovers. leftover chicken curry is my favorite breakfast. i know. it’s odd. i did make a chicken in the crock pot and then stock for the first time a few weeks ago. the flavor of homemade stock is amazing and made such a difference in the soup i made with it!

• Jenny Yarbrough says:

I agree, Kellie! It was my first time making stock from scratch too, and it was so much better than store bought! I’m so happy to hear that we are both on the same page. :)

3. Margaret says:

yummy recipe–we will recycle leftovers or eat them for lunch the next day

4. Alicia Marie says:

Ever since I’ve had a baby, I’ve found it difficult to cook dinner during the week, so four months ago, I hauled out the crock pot! I don’t eat any wheat, so I choose soups & stews without wheat and pasta. I make huge meals in the pot on weekends and viola! I have dinner and lunches for the whole week. I usually freeze half of whatever I make so that I have variety and avoid eating the same thing everyday. It’s awesome and it keeps me from wasting veggies because pretty much anything can go into that pot!

• Jenny Yarbrough says:

That’s great! I’m so glad that you’ve found that it works for you! Have you read my latest post over at http://unboundbirth.com/blog? We are eating wheat free too. We had a terrible experience over the weekend when we went off of it!

• Alicia Marie says:

Yes I did! You’ve got to read “Wheat Belly” There’s a whole chapter about how wheat is linked to children’s diseases like asthma, autism and even adult-onset seizures, which I was diagnosed with two years ago. I just took my baby for his 4month check up and my pediatrician did not support me going wheat-free with the baby unless he was diagnosed with celiac (which he is not). I went wheat-free 6 weeks ago and I’ve lost 10 lbs and I’ve been seizure-free. I just feel better. I’m excited that I can start my son’s life and diet with a clean slate, feeding him organic fruits and veggies. I’m excited about the eBook bundle too! I was glad I got the chance to read Unbound Birth right in the middle of my pregnancy. I was able to deliver naturally with no epidural. Thanks Jenny. I really enjoy reading all of your posts!

Trackbacks

1. [...] loving the GROW Method!  It seems like such a simple thing to save your leftovers, like we looked at last week when we talked about saving food.  Today’s principle is just as [...]

2. [...] another GROW Method post.  So far we’ve looked at three of the five GROW Method principles (Save Food, Seasonal, and Less), and although they aren’t related to crafts or sewing, they are [...]